20 Something Woman's Heart
By April Motl
Women’s ministries are struggling today with how to reach younger women. What worked for the last generation isn’t, quite frankly, working for this new generation of women. So where do you start and what is it that these women are really seeking?
One thing that continues to emerge is that these younger women are looking for connection through relationships. They want a place to be real, to be heard, to be loved. Here are some practical tips for giving your H.E.A.R.T. away to the younger women in your life and ministry:
Hospitality – opening the door of your home will open the “heart door” of many! Offer your home for:
- A college/youth girls’ ministry event.
- The college girl who needs a place to do laundry.
Encouragement – the priceless treasure that doesn’t cost a penny! Bless a young woman with:
- A note of God’s comfort during a hard time.
- Applaud her God-given uniqueness.
- Cheer her on in a path of purity, obedience, and dedication to God.
Authenticity – the unpretentiousness that gives others freedom to be themselves. Be “real” by:
- Sharing your journey, struggles and all.
- Being more concerned for those around you than for your own image.
- Let the hurt of others touch you by sincerely empathizing with them.
Resources – your arsenal of God-taught wisdom. Share truth by:
- Reading/discussing a Christian book together.
- Inviting her into your world through a conference, Bible study, or other place of refreshment.
- Prepare files with Scripture, statistics, and resources for issues God has helped you with (depression, sexual purity, etc.) so you can readily pass on wisdom.
Time – a gift of true sacrifice that will prove your love to others. Give your time by:
- Coming to youth/college meetings; showing you’re available.
- Understanding relationships with this generation takes a lot of time to develop trust.
- Investing in connecting “their way” via email, blogs, texting, etc.