Guided by Him
By Constance Fink
Julie Morris shares her firsthand experience that God can change weaknesses to strengths, and misery to ministry. After a lifelong struggle with worry and anxiety, overeating and health problems, she discovered how to rely on God’s transforming power to overcome her challenges. Through her books, Bible studies, seminars and retreats, she helps others to grow spiritually and develop healthy lifestyles.
Julie presents practical advice not only from personal experience, but also professional training. She is a former RN supervisor, a coronary intensive care nurse, and a secretary at the Pentagon. Julie has been married for over 35 years to her college sweetheart and is the mother of two grown children. However, she gained the most lessons as a result of doing it all wrong in her own life and then watching in amazement as God changed her.
JBU: What was the most difficult challenge to overcome?
JULIE: Worry! My worrying began in an abusive childhood. I grew up worrying about everything. My refuge was the refrigerator. It was not long before I started worrying about all the extra pounds I carried and the looming health problems. But for the past 20 years, I have learned practical ways to turn my panic into praise.
JBU: What ways did you try to overcome your weight problem?
JULIE: I tried every diet I could find for 30 years, but all I had to show for it was extra pounds. The doctor told me I could have a stroke if I didn’t lose weight because my blood pressure was so high—and I was only in my 30’s. I was so upset when he said that that I went home and ate everything I could get my hands on.
I knew the Bible verse, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Every morning I would ask God to help me lose weight, but by noon, I was overeating. Every night I would tell God how sorry I was that I had fallen off my diet….again.
But yet I kept calling out to God, and He began to show me small practical things to do to draw closer to Him and turn my problems over to Him.
JBU: What are the titles of some of your books?
- Step Forward is a series of nine books, in which I share the biblical principles for weight loss that have changed so many lives, including my own. This book is the foundation of my Step Forward Christian Weight Loss Program.
- Guided By Him – To a Thinner, Not So Stressed Out You, co-authored with my daughter, contains many of the principles in Step Forward but is lighter and easier for today’s busy lifestyle.
- From Worry to Worship (first book in the God Help Me series)
- From Worthless to Worthy (second book in the God Help Me series)
JBU: How is Guided By Him different from other weight loss programs?
JULIE: It is short, easy and fun. It can be done in 10 minutes a day. It’s filled with success stories, inspiring Bible studies, and useful practical tips. It’s specially designed for busy people who overeat when they feel stressed.
JBU: Why is an emphasis on God’s Word important for weight loss?
JULIE: Because that’s where the healing is. I discovered how to have a dynamic quiet time, and to cast my cares on the Lord not the refrigerator. These exercises took only 10-15 minutes a day, yet made a life-changing difference. Not only have I kept my weight off for 25 years, but also the worry!
- Julie’s Favorite Scripture: Psalm 103:5
- Favorite Song: “We Exalt Thee”
- Hobbies: flower arranging, traveling to foreign countries, playing Bridge and Scrabble
- One fun thing she likes to do with her husband: hiking in the national forest not far from their house
- E-mail: Julie@guidedbyhim.com
Website (to order books):